Crime watchdog Mywatch chief R. Sri Sanjeevan and former inspector-general of police Tan Sri Musa Hassan have denied there was an attempt to subvert Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s recently-concluded sodomy case.
They were responding to an article on the Malaysia Today blog yesterday, in which a businessman alleged that Jude Pereira, the investigating officer of the case, had claimed that he was asked to subvert the trial. The Malaysian Insider reports further:
“I wish to state that it is a complete lie to suggest there was an attempt to subvert the trial,” he said.
But he admitted meeting Jude in April 2013, days before the 13th general election.
He said the meeting was arranged by Musa, who was then the patron of MyWatch.
“The meeting was to confirm from Jude himself whether there was a conspiracy in Anwar’s case, however, unfortunately since Jude was not willing to go on record, it ended there.
“I never met nor contacted Jude since then.” he pointed out.
Sanjeevan said Anwar had nothing to do with the meeting, adding that it was his own effort to find out the truth behind the sodomy case.
“There was no attempt to subvert the trial as this meeting happened after Anwar was acquitted in January 2012 and the trial was over.
“I should have known better than to trust these two individuals i.e., Musa Hassan and Jude Pereira,” he added.
Musa (pic, right) was the the investigations officer who appeared as a witness in Anwar’s first sodomy trial in 1999.
Musa is now with anti-crime group Malaysia Community Crime Care Association.
Meanwhile, The Star Online quoted Musa as saying that he had met Jude before the May 5 national polls.
“The article published in the Malaysia Today blog is wrong.
“I never asked him (Jude) if there was a conspiracy in Anwar’s case,” he was quoted as saying.
He said during his meeting with Jude, they had talked about the past and Jude’s aspiration to become a lawyer.
“He told me later that he met Sanjeevan and was asked to issue a statement about there being a conspiracy against Anwar,
“I commended him for making a stand when he told me that he refused to issue the press release,” he told the news portal.
Yesterday, Malaysia Today posted an article written by Raggie Jessy who said Pereira related his experience to him explicitly “almost as if it had happened the day before.”
The writer said he was shocked to learn of a “possible element of complicity” that seemed to involve Anwar, Sanjeevan and Musa.
Because of the ongoing litigations, he did not pursue the matter then. Since the verdict on Anwar’s Sodomy 2 appeal was already read out by Chief Justice Tun Arifin Zakaria, he decided to “let the cat out of the bag”.
As told to Raggie in the report, Jude said he first met with Musa, who asked him whether as the investigation officer of Sodomy 2 case, there was any conspiracy in the investigation against Anwar.
Taken aback by the question, he replied that the statements from the witnesses were evident that there was not a shred of conspiracy.
Since Musa appeared to be satisfied with his answer, Jude said both of them sat for a few more minutes and talked about other things.
On Sanjeevan, Pereira said the MyWatch chief had called him several times and requested a meeting at a hotel in Petaling Jaya.
During the meet, he said Sanjeevan, who was very direct, asked him whether he would make a press statement to say that there was conspiracy in the investigations against Anwar and mentioned that he would be taken care of should PKR win the election.
However Jude said he refused to do so as his investigations showed no conspiracy or government interference.
He said Sanjeevan then put him on the phone with Anwar but told him that he could not make such a press statement as Sanjeevan wanted.
Subsequently, at another location, Pereira said he was handed a press statement by 2 unidentified persons claiming to be assisting Anwar in the election.
“I was completely shocked after reading a passage of about 100 words, which said that I was the Investigation Officer and that Anwar was innocent and was charged unreasonably, with evidence fabricated against him.
“The passage made me look like a fool and would have thrown my integrity down the drain after all my hard work. I refused to subscribe to their request and just walked away from the hotel.” the report stated.
Jude later said that he drove back to his house in Ipoh the same night, regretting to have ever met Sanjeevan and his friends. – February 21, 2015.